Sunday, March 18, 2007

On The Road Again

We were supposed to leave for Washington State at daybreak on Friday morning....the operative words here being "supposed to". At 2:00 a.m. the telephone rang and my husband, Dan, was out the door to interview a burglary suspect. Dan is a detective with our county sheriff's department. It is interesting and necessary work but at times, can wreck havoc with our schedules. He finally got home at 11:30 on Friday morning. He had not packed and was now exhausted and needed some sleep. We decided to leave Friday afternoon. Then, shortly after 1:30 p.m., the phone rang again. This time, it was my office with a small crisis that had to be handled before we left. I returned home at 5:30 p.m. And we still had to pack the truck!
At midnight, Dan and I finally climbed into the cab of our pickup and we were off! Since Dan dislikes driving at night with the passenger side map light on (he says it causes a reflection on the windshield), I decided the only thing to do was to settle in and try to get some sleep.
At sunrise, I awoke to see Mount Shasta looming in the distance. It was covered in snow and was absolutely breathtaking as the sunlight began to turn the southeast face of the mountain a delicate pink. Mount Shasta was also a welcome sight for me in another sense. We were now one-fourth of the way through our trek.
As the sun rose and began to light up the surrounding hillsides, I decided that I would work on the "Sublime" Vest. I pulled it out of the knitting bag and started on the second pattern repeat. I also started looking for the homemade Road Sculptures that periodically appear Interstate 5. For example:

There is this sculpture of a mooing cow just above Weed, California.

This Dragon Sculpture outside of Yreka, California.

And these three just outside of Winlock, Washington.

There are some more cow sculptures on Highway 101 just outside of Shelton, Washington but it was raining so hard by the time we passed them, it was impossible to take a picture. Maybe I'll head down to Shelton next weekend and try again.
In between taking pictures, I was able to add another 20 rows to the Sublime vest. I like the pattern and the yarn is shows good definition in when knitted in pattern. The fabric is soft. The only problem I have noted is that the yarn does have a tendency to split if I don't pay attention so I was glad that I chose not to knit this in semi-darkness as we drove. Here is what it looks like so far.
Tomorrow is the first day at the Weaver's School. I intend to take lots of pictures and copious notes.

No comments: