Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Endless Afghan - The Second Square

The Endless Afghan is progressing! This is the second square of the Great American Aran Afghan which is now on the blocking board. The square was designed by Ann McCauley. It consists of a cherry and stem pattern in the center and opposing cables and bobbles on the sides. This main feature of this square is all those bobbles.
During the knitting of this square, I was very concerned that it was going to be too long and too narrow. However, the blocking appears to have amended that problem.
Here is a close up view of the bobbles and the cables.
The garden is also progressing and has nearly doubled in height in the past week.

We have strawberries.

The grapes are beginning to show. These are seedless Flame grapes.


The corn stalks are now about 4 feet high and the tassels are developing inside the top of the stalks. Although hard to see, there are potato plants in front of the corn. They are nearly two feet tall now and should be developing potatoes. To the right of the corn are our yellow squash plants. We had the first taste of the squash for dinner last night. If only the afghan was growing as fast as the garden!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow, that afghan looks like so much work! It will be so worth it when it's done, it's going to be gorgeous!

knottykitty said...

Wow, that afghan square is fabulous! I love the cherries motif. If they are all that pretty, that will be some awesome afghan! Love your garden, too. I have garden envy---I don't have a yard :/

LavenderSheep said...

That is a gorgeous square. I have my first square done myself. I think I am going to wait until the end and block all the squares at once. I should have a picture of it up on my blog soon.

Unknown said...

The Afghan is a wonderful idea, and the blocks look great so far! But most I envy the garden, we are now having the first green shades in nature, leaves budding and grass finding it's colour!

Yarnhog said...

How big is your garden? I assume it's in Fresno. It's gorgeous. I'm an avid gardener, but my vegetable garden is confined to a narrow, south-facing side yard, because my yard is so small and mostly taken up by the swimming pool.

Danielle said...

I'm not sure which I like better, the garden or the squares. They're both so beautiful. We live in a townhouse and our only area to garden is shaded by a large maple, so I'm a bit jealous!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing work.

Asaknitter
www.knittingnutter.com

Jamie said...

Your garden looks beautiful! My strawberries have a couple of flowers on them, but no berries yet.

Your afghan looks like it will be very warm and georgous when it is finished! I can't wait to see it.